Pedaling for Parkinson's is a cycling program offered by the Decatur Family YMCA. Pedaling a bicycle at a rapid pace, optimally 80-90 revolutions per minute, helps reduce symptoms of Parkinson's disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed simply pedaling a bicycle for an hour at least twice a week could reduce symptoms by as much as 35%.
- 8-week session. Free for members and non-members. After first 8-week session completed, Y membership is required. SilverSneakers membership is accepted. Financial assistance is available.
- Cycling class meets Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in the spin studio.
- Class led by trained Lifestyle Coach.
- During the 1-hour class, participants are led through a cycling routine to reach the optimal cycling speed.
- Be over age 30
- Be diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson's Disease
- Complete and submit consent and medical clearance form
- Agree to periodically monitor progress
- NOT have cardiac or pulmonary disease, uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, uncontrolled hypertension or stroke, dementia, other medical conditions that are contraindicated for exercise.
Watch this video from the Kishwaukee Family YMCA for patricipant testimonials.